MIDI has been used to control synthesizers and sequencers for years. It’s easy to use, and there are hundreds of inexpensive controllers. With MIDI Camera, Secret Base Design brings MIDI to iOS photography. Use a MIDI controller, foot pedal, or an app, to take photographs or record video.
MIDI signals can be sent wirelessly, using either WiFi or Bluetooth, or using adapters with a camera connection kit. The precise timing available with MIDI makes it easy to synchronize multiple cameras, or to take carefully spaced photos for time lapse photography. Triggering camera photos and videos electronically can make stop-motion animation easier!
Beat Time by Tiv Studio allows you to change the pitch and time of audio AND video. A great tool for any musician. Slow down video recordings of your favorite guitarist and slow it down without altering the pitch. Check out this demo video of Jordan Rudess showing off both his insane skills and Beat Time.
Beat Time plays audio & video and can change the tempo (time stretch) and/or pitch and does note & chord detection. It is aimed as a practice / study tool for musicians and as a helper tool for transcribing audio & video.
“Beat Time! is a gem of an app that’s just waiting for musicians around the world to discover it. It’s almost to good to be true! You’ve got to check it out!!”
Dream Theater/Wizdom Music.
Main app features:
• Time stretch video and audio from 1/4x to 2x without affecting pitch.
• Pitch shift audio and video up to an octave up or down.
• Natural pitch shifting, pitch shift a male voice keeping it sounding male, pitch shift a female voice keep it sounding female.
• High quality, state of the art, time stretching / pitch shifting using DIRAC technology.
• Pitch analysis for note & chord detection.
• Annotate the track with multiple markers.
• Seamless looping of segments in the track.
• Optionally pause between loops.
• Easy file transfer: Open audio/video files from any app that supports iOS “Open In…” menu or using iTunes file sharing.
• Built in dropbox integration.
• Open tracks from your iPod audio, video library or video camera roll
• Export time stretched / pitch shifted audio or movies.
• Universal application (iPhone/iPod/iPad).
• Supports video and audio formats that are playable using iOS music/video player, including: mp4, m4v, m4a, mp3, WAV, mov, (AVI provided it’s mpeg 4 encoded)
The following video demonstrates what the combination of Korg iMS20 and iElectribe is capable of. Alfonse music (Alfonse, Bristol, Britain UK) shows us a song he composed using just these two apps and an iPad.
All parts were performed using Korg’s iElectribe (beat) and iMS20 (synths) for iPad and each take was videoed as it was played. The parts were then mixed in Logic, adding some side-chain compression and overall mastering goodness.
iPad Loops is a music app blog dedicated to exposing the best iPad apps for iOS musicians, producers, and Djs. This is not a database of every app. It is, however, one of useful recommendations from someone with many years in music production. I try to update it on a daily basis (ok sometimes every two days) and I do my best to post useful apps only. My name is Jason Donnelly (Dj Puzzle).
You might know me from my royalty free loop packs and sound design. Some of the apps that contain my loops are LP-5, iPRO.DJSAMPLER, Looptastic, and Audio Elements. My work is published by Sony Creative, Soundtrack Loops, Sample Logic, Pakotec, Loopmasters, Acoustica, Xmix, Sound Trends, and many more. Subscribe to our RSS feed below to get updated when new apps are posted.