6-Operator FM Synth on iOS, building on the legacy of the classic synthesizers that defined the digital era of the 1980s.
It also happens to be the first FM Audio Unit instrument (AUv3), offering tight integration in many leading mobile DAWs, such as Auria, Garageband, Cubasis, Modstep and AUM.
(Note: there is a known bug in the current version of Garageband which may cause compatibility issues with some AU plugins).
Frequency Modulation brings rich timbres and dynamic evolving sounds full of personality which are impossible to create with analog modelling. The 6-Operator architecture allows for lively multi-layered sounds with lots of expression and playability.
Phasemaker’s characteristic FM sound will add classic digital character to your mobile sonic arsenal which no other analog synth can bring.
System requirements: iPad 4+, iPad Mini 2+, iOS 9 or higher
– Audio Unit v3 compatible
– CoreMidi compatible standalone mode (with background audio)
– Custom preset management; user presets available across AU hosts
– Dozens of factory presets
– 42 FM Algorithms (including all 32 DX7 layouts)
– 12 Oscillators, including the 8 original TX81z waveforms
– All 106 parameters can be automated using MIDI CC and AU Parameters
– Vintage sounding chorus and reverb effects for classic ambiance
With Audulus, you can build synthesizers, design new sounds, or process audio. All with low latency real-time processing suitable for live performance. Audulus’s user interface is clean, simple, and easy to learn, allowing you to focus on sound – now made easier than ever with nearly 100 built-in Eurorack-style modules.
New in 3.3:
– New Audio Engine! Thanks to FANCY ALGORITHMS, you can now use z-1 without slowing down your entire patch.
– New Patch Library! A revamped patch library including some great new examples.
– Search by tag in the Patch Browser.
– New node/module addition UI. Tap on the background and select Create. Removed the toolbar.
– Support for split-screen and portrait orientation on iPad.
– Support for iOS 10.
▶ Key Features:
• Fluid Vector Interface – smooth animated interaction
• MIDI control – use your control surface or MIDI keyboard
• Polyphony – process multiple voices
• Diverse Nodes – from ADSR to ZeroCross
• Patch Browser – quickly flip through your patches
• 32-bit floating-point signal processing
• Fully Enhanced for Retina Display
• Unlimited Undo – full history stored in a patch
• Round-trip workflow with Audulus for Mac
• Virtual MIDI – control Audulus from your favorite MIDI app
• Audiobus support! – Runs as both an Input and Effect
• Sub-Patches – group and reuse nodes
• Universal Modulation – modulate any knob
• iCloud support – effortlessly sync patches between Mac and iPad
• Custom Nodes – build your own modules!
• Timing mode – figure out which nodes are using the most CPU!
▶ Featured Built-in Modules:
• 5ms Revolving Clock Divider
• Touch Feedback Clock
• Ms. Torsion Distortion
• Fibonacci Sequence
• Fab Five Rectifying LFO
• The Warpeggiator
• Scale Quantizer
• Cyclone Matrix Mixer
…and many more!
▶ Built-in Nodes:
• Virtual Analog Oscillator (4 classic waveforms)
• ADSR Envelope
• Noise Generator
• Mathematical Modules: Addition, Multiplication, Subtraction, Sine, Modulo
• Math expression module – 34 operation expression language
• Random Number Generator
• MIDI controlled Keyboard
• MIDI assignable trigger
• 16-Step Sequencer
• Low Pass Filter
• Low Pass Filter with resonance
• High Pass Filter
• Feedback Delay
• Unit Delay
• DC Blocker
• Envelope Follower
• Pitch Shifter
• Constant Value
• Mapper Curve
• Piecewise-linear Spline Curve
• Sample and Hold
• 4-Channel Mixer
• Level Meter
• Value Meter
• Scrolling Waveform Meter
• RGB Light
• Polyphonic to Monophonic signal mixer
• Polyphonic/Monophonic signal converters
• Zero-crossing Counter
▶ Recommended hardware: 4th Generation iPad or later. iPhone 5 or later.
ROTOR is the new app that turns the iPad into a complete music performance suite. Using the optional ROTOR controllers, which can be purchased separately, it also brings the reactable tangible music experience that has captivated musicians such as Björk, Coldplay or Gui Boratto, for the first time into the iPad.
NOT A CONVENTIONAL SYNTHESIZER, NEITHER A SEQUENCER OR DAW…
… although it includes components from all of them. ROTOR incorporates dozens of modules, among instruments, audio effects, modulators and controllers, all interconnectable between them, which can be used for creating the most expressive and intricate patches in a unique way. It is an unprecedented multitouch/tangible instrument specially designed for live interaction and performance.
Exclusive physical control objects especially conceived for the iPad, and which can be purchased separately, ROTOR brings the unique tangible experience of the reactable for the first time to the iPad! This means that while all standard multi-touch capabilities are preserved, the ability to control any parameter by moving and twisting our tangible pucks over the iPad’s surface, brings 3 additional degrees of freedom to each hand.
ROTOR can be perfectly used without the controllers. Controllers will be available for purchase on November 2016.
ALWAYS IN SYNC AND IN KEY
ROTOR comes with automatic real-time key detection and time stretching algorithms that allow for samples, loops and sequences to stay not only in sync but also in harmony with each other. All wavefiles can be configured either as masters, thus determining at any instant the tonality of the whole session, or as slaves, thus adapting automatically to this computed tonality.
WORKFLOW INTEGRATION AND COLLABORATION
ROTOR MIC/LINE IN module and its panoply of effects and modulators allows to process voice, guitars, or any other instrument, in unheard ways. With Audiobus, ROTOR can be used as an input/output device in combination with any other compatible music apps. Any ROTOR module can also receive external MIDI control from any user-selectable MIDI port/channel. Moreover, its integration of Ableton Link allows ROTOR to play in perfect sync with Ableton Live and other Ableton Link compatible iOS apps running in other devices.
FROM COMPLETE CONTROL TO INSPIRING SERENDIPITY
ROTOR includes dozens of multi-touch control panels such as virtual keyboards, polyphonic and monophonic step-sequencers, envelope generators, or 2D panels, which empower to control in real-time, every detail or nuance of the performance. On the other hand, interconnecting less linear and less predictable modules, such as the accelerometer input, the beat slicer or the feedback delay, opens a whole universe of generative and serendipitous creations. This, combined with ROTOR’s live recording capabilities, which simplifies the capturing of loops on-the-fly and always in sync, turns ROTOR into the ULTIMATE LOOP CREATOR MACHINE.
ROTOR also comes with 100+ high quality loops and sessions created by professional music producers. Along with these loops, users can import their own ones and combine them with ROTOR’s advanced synthesis and processing capabilities. From House or EDM to the most experimental generative soundscapes, ROTOR sonic versatility is unparalleled.
The hybrid synthesis algorithm on which Addictive Pro is based provides you with efficient means for easy control of complex sounds far beyond usual sound synthesis methods: Addictive Pro provides you a with unique form of Wavetable oscillators. These Wavetables are generated from the harmonic content and the free digital filter structure entered by the user. The sound of up to 12 of this Wavetable oscillators is then further refined with a classic analog filter available in several 24dB and 12dB forms. For the optional noise part of the sound you can use the same sophisticated digital filter struct as for the wavetable oscillators allowing for a vast variety of ever changing noisescapes. The intelligent sound and rhythm randomizer can be applied to different sound aspects separately for really useful sound design and inspiration. A four part polyrhythm Arpeggiator creates complex rhythmical structures with a touch of a finger.
### Introductory offer 40% off ###
Hybrid synthesis engine
• Wavetable spectrum synthesis
• Noise spectrum synthesis
• Virtual Analog synthesis
• FM and Ringmodulation synthesis
• Twelve wavetable spectrum oscillators per voice.
• Morphing between two wave/filter sets.
• Waves contain up to 256 partials.
• Hand drawn filter structure.
• Spectral noise generator using hand drawn filter structure.
• Ten major sound parameters each with independent poly LFO and envelope modulators.
• Real time parameter control using two X/Y touch pads, the tilt sensors of the iPad and MIDI Controllers.
• Monophonic or polyphonic with up to 16 voices.
• 300 factory presets, unlimited user presets can be shared.
• Seven studio standard effects concurrently usable:
• Oversampled distortion with four different algorithms for antialiased sound.
• Low / High equalizer
• 8 pole analog Phaser
• Four line chorus
• Stereo/Ping-Pong delay with glitch free delay time change.
• Hi end reverberation unit.
Four part Polyrhythm Arpeggiator
• Uses programmable sequences with up to 32 steps.
• Can trigger single notes and chords.
• Unique randomizer generates Arpeggios with 100% usability.
• Factory arpeggios included, unlimited user arpeggios possible.
• For each step you can program tie, accent, transposition and note order
• Play melodies live with the onscreen keyboard. Unique drag function for slides and vibrato.
• Audiobus 2 with state saving
• Inter App Audio
• Can use CoreMIDI compatible MIDI Keyboard.
• Select from dozens of scales and play them with scale optimized keyboard layout.
• Audio recorder with share function.
• Share user presets.
• Support for virtual MIDI input connections.
• Multichannel MIDI Learn for external MIDI controllers.
• MIDI Tempo sync. Start/Stop Arpeggio.
• MIDI bank/program change.
• Import function for Addictive Synth presets.
Electro-Harmonix, a pioneer since 1968 in the field of sound effects pedals for musicians, has produced an app which is a faithful digital re-creation of their circa 1980 analog cult-classic, The MINI-SYNTHESIZER.
Available for iPad and iPhone (IOS version 8.0 or later), the EHX MINI-SYNTHESIZER accurately delivers all the vintage synth sounds of the original plus modern updates.
EHX President and Founder, Mike Matthews stated: “Fans of vintage synths will appreciate the apps ability to recreate the original’s warm analog sounds and deep funky bass, but because it’s so affordable ($2.99 for phone, $4.99 for tablet) and user-friendly, parents, educators and non-musicians will love it, too.”
The MINI-SYNTHESIZER app comes with 22 presets and the ability to store an almost unlimited number of user presets programs.
Intuitive, flexible and powerful control are provided by the MINI-SYNTHESIZER’s 12 sliders and nine switches. Here’s a breakdown of the user interface:
– PITCH slider lets the player raise or lower the pitch of the note by +/- 1 octave
– SUB-OCTAVE slider introduces a note one octave below what’s being played for extra bottom
– OCTAVE UP switch causes the note being played to jump up one octave.
– TUNE knob lets the player tune the MINI-SYNTHESIZER to other instruments and sound sources over a +/- 50 cents range.
– PHASE RATE slider adjusts the speed of the phase shifter
– FILTER START sets the start frequency of the filter sweep
– FILTER STOP sets the stop frequency of the filter sweep
– SWEEP RATE controls the speed of the filter sweep
– PHASE switch turns the effect on/off
– 2X FILTER switch changes how the audio passes through the filters (either in parallel or in series)
– Q switch sets the amount of resonance on the filter sweep
– RETRIGGER switch turns the filter retrigger on/off
– TIME slider adjusts the delay time up to two seconds
– FEEDBACK controls the number of echo repeats
– BLEND adjusts the mix of the original signal and the echo repeats
– DELAY switch turns the effect on/off
– AMOUNT slider adjusts the reverb effect level
– BLEND slider controls the mix of the wet and dry signals
– REVERB switch turns reverb on/off
– REVERB>DELAY switch lets the user place either Delay or Reverb first in the effects chain for a variety of cool sound effects.
– VOL (Volume) slider adjusts the MINI-SYNTHESIZER’s overall sound output level
– POLY/MONO switch toggles between polyphonic (four notes can be played simultaneously) or monophonic (only one note can be played at a time) modes
– PRESETS pop-down menu displays the presets available and allows the user to instantly select one
– HORIZONTAL slider lets the player adjust the keyboards sounding range over an expansive eight-octave range.
– RIBBON Interface lets the player perform portamento (glide up or down to pitch), vibrato and other expressive playing.
The easy-to-use Electro-Harmonix MINI-SYNTHESIZER App is loaded with great sounds and features and is sure to appeal to serious musicians and non-musicians alike.
Get Mini Synthesizer
iPad Loops is a music app blog dedicated to exposing the best iPad apps for iOS musicians, producers, and Djs. This is not a database of every app. It is, however, one of useful recommendations from someone with many years in music production. I try to update it on a daily basis (ok sometimes every two days) and I do my best to post useful apps only. My name is Jason Donnelly (Dj Puzzle).
You might know me from my royalty free loop packs and sound design. Some of the apps that contain my loops are LP-5, iPRO.DJSAMPLER, Looptastic, and Audio Elements. My work is published by Sony Creative, Soundtrack Loops, Sample Logic, Pakotec, Loopmasters, Acoustica, Xmix, Sound Trends, and many more. Subscribe to our RSS feed below to get updated when new apps are posted.