What’s New in Version 1.4
• Play and record music apps supported by Audiobus directly into GarageBand*
• Turn off grid snapping to get finer control over region and note editing
• Fixes an issue that resulted in feedback while connecting 3rd-party audio accessories into the headphone/microphone jack
* Requires iPhone 4S, iPod touch (5th generation), iPad 2 or later. Audiobus requires a separate purchase.
Version 1.3 of Garageband for iPad, iPod, and iPhone was announced today. The good news is it has some cool new features. The bad news is some of the features are not compatible with older iOS devices.
Now you can make your own ringtones from within your iPhone. The following is a tutorial that will show you how to make a ringtone from within your iPhone using Garageband Ver 1.3. Also, this app makes full use of the larger iPhone 5 display size (duh it’s an Apple product).
First off, there are two ways to get your own tunes (songs you produced and didn’t purchase from iTunes) into your ringtones from within your iPhone using Garageband. The first is to create a song within Garageband version 1.3 or later and simply send it to your ringtones using the new ringtone feature in Garageband.
It’s quite simple. Create a song. Save it.
Hit the down arrow in the top left hand corner.
Select the tune you want to be your ringtone (it will be highlighted with a green frame). Hit the Share button (Rectangle with arrow in it).
Select “My Songs”.
Scroll down to “Share song as ringtone”.
Their is another way to get pre-existing songs that you have mixed down and added to your iTunes library into your ringtones and that is to import them from from the “Loop” section.
Click on the Loop icon.
You’ll see both Apple loops and Music. Select music and you’ll see your songs.
Repeat the steps above to share to your ringtones.
Now you might see a feature in Garageband for iPhone called “Copy from : iTunes”. Well ,this only works for songs you’ve purchased. (Please correct me if I’m wrong but I could not get it to see the songs I did not purchase such as my own songs). If you’re like me, you like to create your own original ringtones from songs you produced using your PC. This work around will allow you to import your tunes as loops and samples into Garageband on your iPhone and then share them directly through the phone to your ringtones. You will probably want to set a short looping section as you are limited to a set number of seconds for ringtones. It will not play your entire 6 minute epic composition =]
What’s New in Version 1.3
• Create custom ringtones and alerts for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch*
• Import songs from the Music library on your iOS device
• Play or record with GarageBand in the background while using other apps**
• Addresses a number of minor issues related to overall performance and stability
* Requires iOS 6 or later
** Requires iPhone 4S, iPad 2 or later
• Start a Jam Session to play or record live with up to three of your friends using iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch*
• Conduct an entire string orchestra using Smart Strings
• Use the Note Editor to adjust or fine-tune any Touch Instrument recording
• Combine recordings to free up additional tracks using Track Merge
• Keep your GarageBand songs up to date across all your iOS devices with iCloud*
• Share your songs directly to Facebook, YouTube, and SoundCloud
• Perform retro and modern synth bass lines and grooves with new Smart Bass instruments
• Play synth melodies and arpeggios with new Smart Keyboard instruments
*Jam Session and iCloud are available on iPhone 4 or later, 4th generation iPod touch, and all iPad models.
Stochastik is a full-featured Drum Machine with one outstanding difference. Unlike any other Drum Machine, Stochastik lets you set a *probability* that a note will trigger for each step. So, your basic beat can rock steady while accents and syncopation only happen every so often.
Once you add chance into the mix, you can generate thousands of unique variations *automatically* in the time it takes to sequence (one, two or four) bars. It’s as easy as programming a static loop but it generates a dynamic track — no more repetitive beats! Over a thousand of high-quality samples are included, from classic analog drum machines of the past to pristine acoustic jazz and rock kits. You can mix and match samples to create the perfect kit for each song. Plus, you can import your own samples through iTunes File Sharing, email or the Dropbox iPad App.
Stochastik was made to share, so you can collaborate with your friends by emailing or uploading your song, pattern and kit settings.
Stochastik plays well with other apps. When you bounce your pattern to a wav file, it’s automatically put in the clipboard for pasting into other apps. With WIST, you can wirelessly sync with other devices. With background audio, you can let Stochastik lay down the beat while you use a synth. MIDI is coming soon.
☞ Audio Features:
★ 15 Samples at a time, arranged in 3 banks of 5
★ Over a thousand included drum, cymbal and percussion sounds — acoustic, analog and digital. Learn more at http://stochastik.xitive.com/samples.html
★ 32 Voices so you will have plenty of polyphony
★ Bounce to 44.1Khz/16bit wav audio files
★ Background Audio – the audio will continue to play when you switch apps.
☆ Coming Soon: Export each drum as a separate track for mixing in your digital audio workstation
☞ Sequencing Features:
★ Stochastic programming of dynamic beats
★ As many Patterns, Songs and Kits as you can fit on your device.
★ Patterns can be 16, 32 or 64 steps long, and you can easily copy them to make tweaks.
★ Quick touch pads on sequencer screen for jamming, recording your beats and making quick tweaks
★ Sliders instead of knobs. I wish every music app got rid of knobs
★ Precise Entry (tap a number to bring up the keyboard) for maximum control over volume, pan, bpm and shuffle
☆ Coming Soon: Mute / Solo, Set Volume per step.
☞ Integration Features:
★ Import/Export wav files, songs, patterns and kits through Email, iTunes File Sharing, the Dropbox iPad App and more
★ AudioCopy & Pasteboard support to use your drum patterns in GarageBand, BeatMaker and other compatible apps.
★ Full “Open In…” support for working with other apps
★ WIST so you can wirelessly sync Stochastik with other devices – http://www.korguser.net/wist/
☆ Coming Soon: Virtual MIDI & MIDI File Export
☞ Learning/Help Features:
★ Screen overlay for quick reference of where everything is
★ Full PDF Manual that introduces drum machines and describes how Stochastik’s features work, in-depth
★ Tutorial videos on YouTube
★ Full E-Mail Support – [email protected]
Xitive Inc Web SiteStochastik Drum Machine Support
What’s New in Version 1.0.2
Fixes the iOS6 Slider issue for BPM, Gain and Swing
Use your iPad to control GarageBand on your Mac! Major new theme style added in gbTouch 3.1!
Do you use GarageBand on a Mac computer and want mobility and touch screen controls for commonly used functions? With gbTouch you can control record and playback from anywhere in your studio. Set each track’s volume with multi-touch faders, or track mute, solo, or record enable with a simple button tap. Tracks display their name and are color coded by type. Select a track and bring up an edit panel to make those critical tweaks to settings and important effects, or check the numeric values of track volume and pan. Untether yourself from the computer mouse and screen!
You requested vertical faders and our new theme style ‘Mixer’ turns GarageBand tracks on their head. ‘Mixer’ theme rotaries also have a new look, with a preference setting for circular vs. vertical response. With ‘Mixer’, you now have 4 major style choices for changing the look of gbTouch anytime using the iOS Settings application. gbTouch automatically changes its layout for landscape or portrait mode. Most gbTouch functions are contained on the Main screen, with Track Info (Details and Effect Parameters) available with a simple tap.
gbTouch includes an “LCD display” that dynamically shows playhead location or project information, including tempo. A single touch lets you “dial in” a new position or tempo. Move around your song easily with the gbTouch playhead “scrub strip”, and set start and end points for playback cycle. More information at your fingertips!
One great way to reap the benefits of gbTouch is to use GarageBand on your Mac to get some tracks down in your composition, then sit back with your iPad – or move around your studio – and use gbTouch’s track and transport functions to evaluate your mix. It makes recording a breeze.
gbTouch communicates with GarageBand using our gbLink application, a small program you install on your Mac. gbLink is free and available at www.delora.com. YOU MUST HAVE GBLINK 3.1.0 INSTALLED AND RUNNING & WI-FI FOR GBTOUCH 3.1 TO WORK. Follow these one time steps to start using gbTouch:
* Using your Mac, go to the gbTouch page in the Delora Products tab on our website, www.delora.com to download gbLink. (It does not install on or from the iPad.)
* After downloading, double click on the gbLink ZIP file, then double click on the gbLink.mpkg file. OSX will walk you through the installation screens.
* Go to the Mac System Preferences, click on the gbLink icon, then press the ‘Run’ button. Close System Preferences.
* Make sure iPad Wi-Fi is ON and connected to the Mac where gbLink is installed, and GarageBand is running.
* iPad running iOS 5
* Apple GarageBand ’11 music application installed on your Mac (works with GarageBand ’09 with some limitations. See user manual).
* Delora gbLink 3.1.0, an OSX application, installed on your Mac computer (available free at www.delora.com). gbLink runs on G5 Macs running OSX 10.5.8; Intel Macs running OSX 10.5.8, 10.6.8, or 10.7.
* Wi-Fi access to Mac running GarageBand and gbLink
* iPad Bluetooth must be set to OFF to insure reliable communications with GarageBand
** CURRENT GBTOUCH USERS: IF YOU UPGRADE TO GBTOUCH 3.1 YOU MUST ALSO UPGRADE YOUR GLINK TO VERSION 3.1.0 OR HIGHER OR GBTOUCH WILL NOT WORK.
FEATURES (Full list available on website. Some highlights:)
* Choose one of four theme styles to change the look of your app
* Adjust each track’s volume & pan levels, & mute, solo and record enable status
* Adjust master volume or mute all audio
* Access more than eight tracks with the arrow keys
* Control transport functions
* Change the playhead location; “LCD” displays position
* Designate Cycle start & end points
* Song tempo displayed; change tempo
* Create a new track, duplicate or delete a track
* Toggle Metronome and Count-In
* Adjust Master Echo and Reverb effects
* Manipulate track Compressor, Visual EQ & Generator parameters
Harmony Systems, Inc. Web SitegbTouch 3 for GarageBand Support
What’s New in Version 3.1.0
* Dramatically different theme style (‘Mixer’) added
* Preference setting for rotary response type (for Mixer theme)
* Dismiss GarageBand alerts from gbTouch with a button on the info screen
iPad Loops is a music app blog dedicated to exposing the best iPad apps for iOS musicians, producers, and Djs. This is not a database of every app. It is, however, one of useful recommendations from someone with many years in music production. I try to update it on a daily basis (ok sometimes every two days) and I do my best to post useful apps only. My name is Jason Donnelly (Dj Puzzle).
You might know me from my royalty free loop packs and sound design. Some of the apps that contain my loops are LP-5, iPRO.DJSAMPLER, Looptastic, and Audio Elements. My work is published by Sony Creative, Soundtrack Loops, Sample Logic, Pakotec, Loopmasters, Acoustica, Xmix, Sound Trends, and many more. Subscribe to our RSS feed below to get updated when new apps are posted.