These are our choices for best iOS Daw packages for 2013. Feel free to comment and tell us more!
Garageband by Apple Price $4.99
AudioBus Support = YES
iPad Loops says “An Amazing Deal! Best Bang For The Buck”
GarageBand turns your iPad into a collection of Touch Instruments and a full-featured recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play pianos, organs, guitars, drums, and basses on your iPad. They sound and play like their counterparts, but let you do things you could never do on a real instrument. Enjoy a full range of Smart Instruments that make you sound like a pro — even if you’ve never played a note before. Plug an electric guitar into your iPad and play through classic amps and stompbox effects. Use the built-in microphone or a guitar to record, or capture any performance. Then mix up to eight tracks to create a song you can share.
Play your iPad like a musical instrument.
• Perform on dozens of musical instruments on the innovative Multi-Touch keyboard.
• Tap out beats from the seat of acoustic and electronic drum kits.
• Recreate legendary guitar rigs on your iPad with 9 amps and 10 stompbox effects.
• Record your voice using the built-in microphone, and apply fun sound effects.
• Use the Sampler to create an instrument from sounds you record, then play them on a keyboard.
Sound like a virtuoso with Smart Instruments.
• Tap chords to instantly create keyboard grooves with the Smart Keyboard.
• Strum chords on acoustic and electric Smart Guitars, or trigger fingerpicking patterns for popular chords.
• Groove with an onscreen electric or upright Smart Bass by tapping on chords.
• Drag drum instruments onto a grid to create your own beats with the Smart Drums.
Create a song anywhere you go.
• Arrange and mix your song with up to eight tracks using Touch Instruments, audio recordings, and loops.
• Trim and place musical regions exactly where you want them to play.
• Use the Mixer to fine-tune each track’s volume – solo or mute any track, or adjust pan, reverb, and echo.
• Use over 250 professionally prerecorded loops as a backing band to your song.
• Import your own loops or third party loops.
Share your songs.
• Email songs right from your iPad (AAC).
• Export your song and add it to the iTunes library on your Mac or PC.
• Send a project to your Mac and open it in GarageBand to continue refining your song.
Get Garageband Here
Cubasis by Steinberg Price $49.99
AudioBus Support = YES
iPad Loops says “A powerful Daw with great features by a name you can trust.”
Portable Music Production System
Cubasis is Steinberg’s streamlined, multitouch sequencer for the iPad. Specially designed for quick and easy operation, Cubasis makes recording, editing and mixing a breeze. Record tracks in CD audio quality, and edit your music with the Key and Sample Editors, while the included mixer and audio effects polish your song to perfection. Cubasis comes loaded with dozens of virtual instrument sounds which can be played in real time using the virtual keyboard and drum pads. Cubasis’ projects can be even opened in Cubase under Windows and OS X! Cubasis places touch-intuitive production tools in your hands, opening up a new world of possibilities for your creativity.
• Unlimited audio and MIDI tracks (depends on the device used)
• Record up to 24 tracks simultaneously!
• Over 70 virtual instrument sounds based on HALion Sonic
• MixConsole with over 10 effect processors
• Over 300 MIDI and audio loops
• Virtual keyboard and virtual drum pads
• Sample Editor and Key Editor
• Export projects to Cubase, Dropbox, SoundCloud, AudioCopy and email
• Core Audio and Core MIDI compatible hardware supported
• Sequence other CoreMIDI apps (MIDI recording only) and run Cubasis simultaneously via background audio
• Audio import from iTunes music library, AudioPaste, Wi-Fi server and iTunes file sharing
• Audio mixdown and MIDI export
• Audiobus support
“Cubasis now boasts one of the best implementations of Audiobus known to me.”
Sebastian Dittmann, Audiobus developer
48 voices: iPad 2, iPad mini
64 voices: iPad 3, iPad 4
Project export to Cubase requires Cubase 7/6.5, Cubase Artist 7/6.5, Cubase LE AI Elements 6 or higher
Cubasis project importer extension must be installed and is available at http://www.steinberg.net/cubasisimporter
Please check the Steinberg End User License Agreement on this website:
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH Web SiteCubasis Support
What’s New in Version 1.6
• New pristine audio engine with extended sample rates (44.1/48/96kHz) and bit rates (16/24-bit)*
• Real-time playback of arbitrary audio file formats (44.1/48/96kHz and 16/24/32 bit) independently of the project’s sample rate and bit depth.
• Up to 24 assignable physical audio outputs
• Assignable metronome output and pan
• MIDI Clock latency compensation slider
• Audio input gain adjustment option for audio interfaces and external microphones
• Register Cubasis at MySteinberg!
• And more! For the complete list of improvements and user reported problems solved please visit www.steinberg.net/cubasisforum
*iPad 4 recommended for 96kHz recording
Get Cubasis Here
MultiTrack DAW by Harmonicdog http://www.harmonicdog.com/
AudioBus Support = YES
iPad Loops says this one is the “Nice Solid App” – PRICE: $9.99
MultiTrack DAW is a powerful audio recorder and audio editor for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. It provides up to 24 stereo tracks of CD quality audio, and the ability to playback all of those tracks simultaneously, while recording in stereo. MultiTrack also provides a suite of editing tools at your fingertips.
Record up to 8 tracks simultaneously on iPad with supported hardware.
Reverb – A sweet and configurable reverb has been added as a bus effect. It consists of 16 comb filters and 8 allpass filters and is hand optimized in assembly for Arm NEON (3GS and later).
Stereo Delay – A highly flexible stereo delay with independent left and right controls, swing parameters and tempo synchronization.
Master FX: The same EQ and Compression available on each track is now available as a Master effect, for mastering of a final mixdown.
Ability to re-order master & bus effects (drag the tabs left/right).
All signal paths have been hand optimized in assembly for Arm NEON (3GS and later), using 32 bit floating point precision.
These are free updates, no in-app purchase required. Thank you for being a MultiTrack customer.
Basic version has 8 stereo audio tracks, upgradable to 24
44.1kHz, 16 bit, CD quality sound for each track
Non-linear, non-destructive editing using Regions and Bins
Multiple levels of Undo and Redo
Metronome adjustable from 40 to 240 BPM
Time Signatures (2/2, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 7/4, 6/8, 7/8, 9/8, and 12/8)
Ruler showing bars/beats/divisions/ticks or timecode
Individual controls for pan, volume, mute and solo
Bounce Regions using multi-region copy and paste
Looping with the Loop Markers
In-app help always grabs the latest help file if network is available
New Bin Browser allows preview of audio files in the song
New Hotbox popup control with context sensitive buttons
Snap snaps the Timebar to Ruler lines
Punch automatically starts and stops recording at precise times
Auto Input allows monitoring the track underneath until punch points
Crossfading uses cubic interpolation to eliminate clicks and pops
Beautifully rendered waveforms of all tracks at multiple zoom levels
VU meters for each track
32 bit internal pathways
Multi-touch pinch/zoom support
Speaker/Receiver selection switch for iPhone
Input enable buttons for left and right (for stereo microphones)
Copy and Paste to and from other apps
Selectable input monitoring
Selectable latency with compensation
Recorded material perfectly synced with other tracks
Native iPad support (landscape and portrait, up to 11 tracks visible)
iPad USB Audio using Camera Connection Kit
Wav, Ogg, and AAC compression for Wi-Fi download, mixdown, email attachments, and SoundCloud upload
GET MultiTrack DAW HERE
AudioBus Support = YES
Meteor by 4pockets: PRICE $19.99
iPad Loops says ” A bit steep on price but powerful and stable”
Meteor is a digital multi-track recorder designed specifically for the iPad. The program features up to 12 tracks of high quality Stereo, Mono and MIDI audio, a built in mixer and multi-effects processor. Meteor is ideally suited for creating musical compositions, and also a great tool for journalists and business people who need to splice and piece together voice notes, narration or dictation. Compositions once mixed can be exported to standard file formats for use on your desktop PC or MAC.
Meteor includes a fully featured sound editor allowing recordings and Stereo Sounds from other Apps to be trimmed or spliced together. You can apply various effects to your recordings either directly, as part of the recording process or in real time during playback. Editor features include cut, copy, paste, fade in/out. clear, reverse, gain, normalize, remove DC offset, time stretch and pitch shift. Effects include digital delay, chorus / flanger, reverb, graphic equalizer, noise gate, tremelo, tone boost, compressor (with side chaining) and distortion.
The Mixer and effect levels can be fully automated using definable controller tracks. An integrated metronome with count-in helps you record your masterpiece, and If 12 tracks isn’t enough there is a full stereo mixdown facility.
The MIDI Editor available through In-App purchase allows full editing of MIDI Note and Controllers as well as Scrubbing, Step Recordings and In-Place Editing of MIDI Parts.
Increased default number of tracks from 12 to 16 and added the ability to extend it to 24 via an In-App purchase.
Added Replicate function to popup menu for duplicating large sections of a song.
Added ability to override MIDI port in prefs so a track can specify it’s own MIDI port or applications virtual MIDI port.
Added Auto Quantise feature to MIDI editor. You can now quantise MIDI notes as they are recorded.
Redesigned the mixer screen to handle more tracks and better landscape viewing.
Added support for Channel Pressure for MIDI instruments.
Major optimisation of audio mixing engine for better low latency support.
Increased the render speed of audio clips in view mode and the mixer display.
Added a note stealing algorithm to the Sampler instrument for better handling of large polyphony.
Virtual ports created by other iOS applications now show up correctly.
Fixed a bug which caused clicking on clips that use the Cross Fade function with EQ enabled.
Added the ability to change the volume level of an imported video clip.
Fixed a possible crash when mixing down to a stereo track with ‘Remove existing parts on ALL tracks’ checked.
Fixed the broken MIDI loop recording.
Fixed a bug with MIDI step recording using the virtual keyboard.
Creating a new project now clears previous track EQ settings from mixer.
•Record up to 24 tracks of CD quality audio
•Integrated 12 channel Mixer
•Import, Export, Email Midi Files
•The ability to Record & Play Midi Tracks and Sync with External Hardware using MIDI Clock.
•Integrated Sample Editor
•The ability to split incoming stereo tracks into two mono tracks.
•Stereo Recording and Stereo Tracks complete with Pure Stereo Imports.
•Insert Stereo Effects and Stereo Channels
•3 Global Send Effect Busses
•Insert Effects with freeze facility to reduce CPU load.
•Record Effects & Record Monitor
•Mixer and Effect Automation
•Supports iRig/Ampkit and ios 4.2 supported USB Adapters
•Import samples and iPod songs.
•Export to compressed CAF and WAV formats
•Automatic Delay Compensation
•In-App Purchases through the Online Shop found in the Help Men
What’s New in Version 1.28
Added HOLD pedal support for Virtual Instruments.
MeTeoR includes a fully featured sound editor allowing recordings to be trimmed or spliced together. You can apply various effects to your recordings either directly, as part of the recording process or in real time during playback. Editor features include cut, copy, paste, fade in/out. clear, reverse, gain, normalize, remove dc offset, time stretch and apply effect. Effects include digital delay, chorus, reverb, phaser, tremolo, graphic equalizer, filter factory, pitch shifter, tone boost and noise gate.
The Mixer and effects are fully automated using definable controller tracks. An integrated metronome with count-in helps you record your masterpiece, and If 12 tracks isn’t enough there is a full stereo mixdown facility.
Note: MeTeoR uses uncompressed WAV files in order to achieve its speed. Audio data is recorded at 44.1Kb/s (CD quality) and require large amounts of storage space. It is therefore recommended that you use a high speed SD/CF card to store recorded materials. A 1GB SD card for instance will store approximately 6 hours of recordings.
Free PC Version
Registered users of the product can download a free PC version of the software which allows you to record/play/export compositions from your desktop PC.
Get MeTeor Here
studio.HD by Sound Trends http://www.soundtrends.com
AudioBus Support = NO
iPad Loops says this one is “Total Inspiration & Best Bang For The Buck” Price $9.99
studio.HD is the multitrack music creation app for songwriters, producers and musicians. It offers eight multilayered audio tracks (24 total tracks of playback!) with recording, editing, loops and effects. All under the command of an elegant iPad touch interface. Get your ideas down fast and start working with them anywhere.
LONG RECORDING TIMES Recording time is only limited by your storage. Easily record a bunch of 3-4 minute pop songs or use your iPad GB to record a prog-rock opus on the beach!
AUTOMATIC TEMPO ADJUSTMENT studio.HD automatically will adjust the tempo of your recordings and loops to fit the project tempo. Already recorded your guitar but now want it a bit faster? Just change the tempo and your track speeds-up without changing the pitch! Plus there is a new override feature just in case you want to decide the tempo of the loop.
PROJECT ARCHIVAL Easily back-up your creations to the Mac or PC using iTunes to keep them safe, reload to the iPad later or to access the recordings in Mac/PC programs.
CD QUALITY RECORDINGS studio.HD records in industry-standard 44.1kHz/16 bit .wav files.
BROWSE AND AUDITION LOOPS Loop Sets logically group instrument parts (drums, bass, guitars, keys, etc.) that work well together. Audition loops at current Project tempo playing with the current arrangement.
OVER 900 FREE LOOPS! Examples are included plus you get download access to all the Loop Sets in Looptastic HD and new Rock, Pop, Country and Funk loops. NEW Industrial Loop Set added!
IN-APP LOOP STORE Hit a creative wall? Buy some new loops and get the juices flowing or grab one of the free sets on the store.
8 TRACKS + LAYERS = 24 TRACKS of AUDIO PLAYBACK! studio.HD accommodates multiple layers per track to give you at least 24 tracks! Workflow are optimized to reduce the endless scrolling found in other apps.
RECORD YOUR BEST … then make it better Just hit the button, listen to the count-off, and get ready to jam. Use Loop Record to lay down a few takes and choose your best or edit together a hybrid. Simply touch the track multiple times to put it into Record, Play or Mute mode. You can turn the metronome on or off depending on your needs.
ARRANGE YOUR SONG WITH YOUR BARE HANDS! Grab your audio parts and Edit, Delete, Copy, Paste and Loop them to make your composition the way you want it.
EFFORTLESSLY ZOOM AROUND YOUR MUSIC Zoom in and out of your arrangement and to fly quickly to a measure. studio.HD even “Auto-Zooms” to put your whole composition in view with a double-touch. Change playback position (Bars.Beats) on the fly while your composition is playing!
EDIT FASTER All operations intelligently snap to Bar/Beat based on Zoom level. Regions can be overlapping and layered on each track. Layered Regions explode for layer selection. A Loop Control Bar lets you move the looped region PLUS select all Regions on all tracks to Cut/Copy/Paste whole verses and choruses. Grab an extension Handle to Loop/repeat a part to play longer. Multitouch “2-finger” dragging copies a part, similar to the Option-Drag copy on the Mac. And studio.HD features 10 levels of Undo just in case you make a mistake. Use the NEW Split feature to cut your longer recordings into more manageable pieces.
AUTOMATED MIXING WITH VOLUME, PANNING AND 13 EFFECTS! Each track has volume control and up to 4 real time effects, all with automation. Effects include Low and High Pass Filtering, Gate, Stutter Loop, Stutter Stepped, Stutter Gate, Bitcrusher, Flanger, Glitchy Repeater, Delay plus PAN and Reverb! An X-Y touch pad controls the effects and faders control volume.
GLOBAL MASTER EFFECTS Now you have effects available for your whole mix. Throw a Reverb on everything to bind it together. Up to 4 effects at once!
USE YOUR OWN LOOPS Import your 44.1/16 bit AIF and WAV files from Mac and PC using iTunes File Sharing and App Documents.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT FEATURES, MY LOOPS LIBRARY and BPM OVERRIDE See only recordings associated with your project. Delete recordings by simply dragging them off the timeline. Mistakes? Just hit “Undo”. “My Loops” lets you reuse recordings across multiple projects. New user definable tempo and naming so the loop is easier identified and plays the way you want in the Project.
EXPORT YOUR MIX! Create a 16/44 WAV mix and save it to your Mac/PC using iTunes.
AUDIO PASTE Copy audio from an app that supports Sonoma Audio Copy/Paste spec and paste it to a track.
Get studio.HD Here
Music Studio By Alexander Gross
AudioBus Support = NO
Price $14.99 Massive amount of features. This is an amazing app.
It combines a piano keyboard, 65 studio-quality instruments with sustain, a fully fledged 127-track sequencer, extensive note editing, reverb, real-time effects and much more on a user-friendly interface. Up to 8 simultaneous tracks of audio.
• Photorealistic dynamically configurable 85-key keyboard
• Instant positioning via the slide gesture and resize with the pinch gesture
• Drum pads, chord pads and chord programming
• 125 studio-recorded instruments (16bit 44.1kHz sampled from real instruments)
• 65 free instruments, 60 available in the in-app shop
• 4 categories: classic, band, electronic, world
• Release and attack time configurable per instrument
• Sustain samples
• Pitch bend wheel and accelerometer control
• Audio tracks:
• Microphone recording
• AudioCopy & AudioPaste
• iPod library or wav/mp3/AAC/ogg file import
• Waveform and audio region editing
• Record up to 8 channels simultaneously with CoreAudio (class compliant) hardware
• Low-latency, highly optimized, 64x polyphony, battery saving audio engine
• 100 drum loops
• 5 real-time effects with lots of parameters:
3 high-quality reverb algorithms, delay, 3-band equalizer, amplifier, filter
• 127-track sequencer
• Beat & metronome settings (tempo and signature)
• Mute, solo, effect bus, pan and volume adjustment for each track
• Edit tracks, bars and even individual notes:
Draw, quantize, transpose, repeat, move, length, velocity, etc.
• MIDI import and export
• Save and load your songs and export to wav and AAC formats
• Share your songs via email, AudioCopy and SoundCloud
• Wi-Fi and iTunes file transfer to your computer
• Songs and MIDI files can be opened directly from Safari and Mail
• Unlimited undo and redo
• Detailed in-app help
• Play or record 2 different instruments at the same time with 2 keyboard rows
• iPhone 4 Retina Display supported
• Compatible with: CoreMIDI (MIDI in and out), Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer I & II, Akai SynthStation 25, iRig, iRig Mic, iRig MIDI, Ampkit Link, Apogee Jam, Blue Mikey, Alesis IO Dock and iConnectMIDI
Music Studio is available for $14.99 here
AudioBus Support = YES
Auria by WaveMachne Labs Price $49.99
The Mac Daddy of all multi-track recorders. Recommended for new iPad owners. Expensive but worth the investment. Often compared to a mini ProTools for iPad.
What’s New in Version 1.04
- Support for multiple outputs over USB
- New plug-ins available through in-app purchase: JamUp, PSP PianoVerb2, and PSP OldTimer.
- Improved ClassicVerb
• 48 tracks of simultaneous playback of stereo or mono files. (24 tracks on iPad 1)
• Up to 24 tracks of simultaneous recording when used with compatible USB audio interfaces (Camera Connection Kit required)
• Supports sample rates of 44.1KHz, 48KHz and 96KHz (iPad 1 supports only 44.1KHz and 48KHz)
• Vintage-inspired ChannelStrip on every channel by PSPAudioware includes Expander, Multiband EQ and Compressor
• MasterStrip on all subgroup and master channels featuring PSPAudioware BussPressor, EQ and Mastering Limiter
• 64 bit double-precision floating point mixing engine
• Third party VST effect plugin support available via in-app purchase (only iOS-version plugins are supported. All plugins must be purchased through the in-app store)
• AAF import and export allows transferring complete sessions between popular DAWs like Logic, Pro Tools, Nuendo, Samplitude and more
• Convolution reverb plugin with included IR library
• ClassicVerb reverb plugin included
• StereoDelay and StereoChorus plugins included
• ReTune plugin included for auto pitch correction of vocals
• 8 Assignable subgroups and 2 aux sends
• Powerful waveform editor with features like cut/copy/paste, crossfade, duplicate, separate, gain, normalize, dc offset, reverse, and more
• Flexible snapping tools allow snapping to events, cursor, bars, beats and more
• DropBox, SoundCloud and Audio Copy/Paste support
• Track freeze for minimizing CPU usage
• Full automation support on all controls with graphical editing
• True 100mm faders when used in Portrait Mode
• Optional video import feature allows sample accurate sync of video to an Auria project with adjustable offset times and video export capability
• Timeline ruler options include minutes:seconds, bars:beats, samples and SMPTE time
• Auto-punch mode
• WIST support for wireless syncing of other compatible music apps
• AuriaLink allows two iPads running Auria to play and record in sync, allowing for 96 tracks of playback and 48 tracks of recording
• Full delay compensation on all tracks, subgroups, and aux sends
• Adjustable metering modes, including pre or post fader, RMS and peak
• Adjustable pan laws
• Sample accurate loop function
• Automatic sample rate conversion
• Built-in metronome
Auria includes a demo song mixed by David Kahne
iPad 2 or later recommended.
Compatible with all iPad models (iPad 1 has only 24 tracks, 44.1KHz and 48 KHz)
Requires iOS 5.0 or later
USB audio interfaces require Camera Connection Kit
Auria is available for $49.99 here