Hello hello welcome to the sound mix lab I am your host Jason Donnelly aka Dj Puzzle reporting for my website www.ipadloops.com and today we’re gonna do a little sampling with an iPad and an app called Beat Twirl. Beat Twirl is an app inspired by Propellerheads Recycle. What it allows us to do is record a stream of audio hits and automatically slice them up and export the slices so that we can easily import then into our sampler or drum machine app of choice.
Our audio source will be these two Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators. We’ve got a simple mini plug Y adapter and two 1/4 inch adapters going into the iTrack Dock. The pocket operators are good for producing chiptune. Use these free samples in your mixes. Samples from PO-28 Robot and PO-20 Arcade.
Goal: Sample and export slices with an iPad.
Results: Free Teenage Engineering samples.
Let’s start recording. Here you will see the record options. Have the wait for audio enabled. What this will do is tell the app to start recording right when it picks up the first sound. Now the record button will become a small square when it is armed and you should see your VU meters dancing. Make sure you adjust the gain accordingly and leave a bit of head room. Hit the record button again to name and save your samples. Now lets adjust the slice sensitivity to place our slice points. You can also adjust the silence parameter to remove silence from each slice. Next we will export the individual slices in a zip file to our dropbox. Now we can open and extract the zip pack into Audioshare and open them in our app of choice. Let’s choose patterning. Suppose I’ll have a little jam. Thanks for watching and please remember to subscribe to my channel. You can download the free samples via a link I placed in the video desciption below.
Beat Twirl is a “beat slicer” app. The app lets you analyze existing sounds and detect their rhythm with its note onset algorithms. With Beat Twirl you can work with drum loops and rhythm patterns, easily enhancing them with additional percussion sound, or create new patterns.
With Beat Twirl you can:
• Change the tempo (time) of drum loops without changing the pitch.
• Analyze percussion patterns and find the underlying timing.
• Mix-in additional percussion sounds, or replace the original sounds
• Export single beats from a sound file.
How to use Beat Twirl?
• You can record yourself singing or clapping a rhythm, than add percussion instruments to the rhythm you created.
• You can extract a rhythmic/percussive section from a song and convert it to a loop you can play along with at different tempos.
• Mix-in percussion instruments to a song to enhance its’ rhythm.
• Extract beat samples from a song for use with a beat sequencer.
• Import audio from your ipod library, using iTunes file sharing or using audio copy/paste from supporting applications.
• Record using an external mic or the built in mic.
• Universal app. UI designed iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. Supports retina displays.
• Two spectrum based note onset detection algorithms.
• Manual slicing capabilities on top of the automated algorithm.
• Mix in percussion beats from a library of 300 samples.
• Export audio as wav, caf or aac. Export using audio copy, iTunes files sharing or email.
• Audiobus input/output support.
CONTACT US!! Have a question and don't see the answer?
iPadLoops On FB | Our music app specialist awaits you.