Thumbjam – probably one of the best iPhone apps ever. Amazing sounds and performance features.
Even if you’ve only played air guitar, ThumbJam lets you sound like a pro. Pick an instrument and jam — with all the scales to choose from you’ll never hit a wrong note. The high quality instrument samples will make you sound like you just skipped years of music lessons.
• Allows background recording, when TJ is being controlled by other MIDI-enable software or hardware, records both the generated audio and the incoming MIDI.
• MIDI Thru mode option (translates scale lock mode if enabled)
• Added Instrument Mute option which silences instrument audio output (Sound->Volume), useful when using ThumbJam as a MIDI controller
• MIDI file export of active loops with ‘Open In’ in another app, or via email. Now puts all loops into a single Type 1 MIDI file, one track per loop.
• Now responds to MIDI bank and program change messages, to change the loaded instrument, or quick key/scale slot (see manual for details)
• Export/Import of user presets added (for backup purposes), accessible via Wifi Transfer interface
• VoiceOver support improved dramatically: on iOS5 you can now play the instrument on the main play area without switching out of VoiceOver mode. Sliders are now more accessible, properly announcing their name and value, as well as being swipe adjustable.
• Split multi-instrument presets can now be saved
• Can now specify category for user-created instruments
• Added options parameter to specify the concert A reference tuning in Hz
For the performing musician, this app is awesome for soloing on an instrument you didn’t bring along. Play in any key, any style — go from a string ensemble to a wailing guitar. ThumbJam was developed and tested by musicians to feel and sound like a real instrument. You’ll be surprised at how expressive it can be, make sure to check out the videos and audio at thumbjam.com.
ThumbJam makes use of tilt and shake to add vibrato, tremolo, note bends, and volume swells for more realistic and expressive results. It supports up to five (eleven on iPad) simultaneous touches and up to 24 voice polyphony. Delay and stereo reverb add depth to the sound, and a resonant lowpass filter gives you more tone shaping power. Put on your headphones or plug in to your home stereo to experience some of the highest quality instruments in the App Store.
Build your own loops from the ground up or import your favorites and jam from there. Layer as many loops as you want, with different instruments for each. Export your loops as audio files or Ardour DAW sessions via WiFi. Copy and paste audio from other apps using Sonoma Wire Works AudioCopy/Paste as well the general pasteboard used by BeatMaker, via email, or iTune Document Sharing.
Want to jam with your friends? ThumbJam lets you broadcast tempo, key, and scale to other nearby devices via Bluetooth so you can play together live. Even better, you can use it as a MIDI or OSC controller over WiFi, with any CoreMidi compatible device to control software instruments on your computer, or play ThumbJam with hardware MIDI controllers!
The app includes a huge variety of scales, from western to eastern. Save your favorites for quick access, or create your own in-app. You can even import new scales in the Scala format for complete flexibility.
You can also record your own samples using a built-in or attached microphone and play them instantly. Create your own presets with different settings, scales and keys based on the existing instruments. You can even import samples from other apps using audio copy and paste!
+ Cello, Violin, Viola
+ Upright Bass (plucked and bowed)
+ Several drumkits
+ Electric Guitar
+ Electric Bass
+ Tenor Sax
+ Low Whistle
+ Acoustic Guitar
+ Hammered Dulcimer
+ Grand Piano
+ Drawbar Organ (2 types)
+ Pipe Organ
+ Synth Strings
+ Synth Choir
+ Sawtooth Waveform
+ Sine Waveform
+ Triangle Waveform
And from Jordan Rudess:
+ JR Zendrix
+ JR Smooth Steel
Many more for immediate free download in the app including several drumkits, Mellotron instruments, slap bass and more! New instruments posted regularly.
Thumbjam is available for $6.99