SquareSynth is a table-based synthesizer for iOS, based on old-school chiptune trackers. Using the “tables” you can create sounds similar to 8bit game consoles, and computers. Must have app for chiptune musicians, or musicians in general. If you want to experiment with 8 bit sounds, look no further!
Authentic 8-bit Sounds! Modeled after NES/Famicom
Pulse, Short Noise, and Long Noise waveform types
Glide, Full Pulse width modulation, and Vibrato
Control Pitch, Wave-type, and Pulse width, via instrument table
+ Absolutely new, beautiful Retina interface (horizontal-oriented)
+ External Remote support (like in Futulele) using the free Amidio Remote app for iPhone
+ MIDI In/Out/Record
+ Individual string buttons can be hidden
+ Advanced File Manager
+ And a lot more… This is basically a new app!
+ Expressive playing is now possible
+ Amazing sonic quality, the sound is very impressive
+ Support external freatboard (a-la Futulele app) with Amidio Remote (free iPhone app)
+ Audiobus! Use it with guitar processors!
+ Autoplay with LOTS of beautiful presets!
+ Record to .WAV, .MIDI, export to iTunes
+ Full MIDI compatibility (virtual/hardware)
+ 6 guitars (3 acoustic, 3 electric)
+ 10 On-board FX with 50 presets
+ File Manager
+ Save own chord sets
76 Synthesizer is a virtual analog monophonic synth for the iPad. Inspired by synthesizers from the 70′s, the 76 Synthesizer combines playability with style.
What’s New in Version 2.1
* Audiobus support and background audio. Use 76 Synthesizer as an input device for the acclaimed Audiobus multitasking system in conjunction with your favourite music apps! Control 76 Synthesizer with MIDI while it’s running in the background.
* General audio engine improvements.
• Three Oscillators with sine, sawtooth, triangle, square waves and switchable filter LFO.
• Voltage controlled filter
• Pitch bend/modulation touch pad
• Three octave touch pad for note input with nine different scales
• Eight different effects: reverb, phaser, flanger, chorus, overdrive, delay, tremolo and vocoder— tap the outputs to patch into two effects simultaneously
• Eight different writable presets
• CoreMIDI Input support
• Recording with sharing via iTunes File Sharing, E-mail (as ringtone), and Audio Copy
• Stunning retro interface designed by Jonas Eriksson
Bliss Pad is a fun and simple three voice synthesizer with an easy to navigate, colorful interface. Customize your sounds with the tone editor then play and loop them. Bliss pad is designed to be satisfying no matter your level of musical knowhow.
What’s New in Version 1.1.1
Added provisional support for Audiobus.
Quirky retro sound and graphics
Autochord makes playing a breeze
Reverb, pitch delay, wobble effects
Arpeggiator with randomizer
Super simple loop bank lets you layer your sounds
12 old school drum samples
ThumbJam is a powerful musical performance experience. You get over 30 high-quality real instruments multi-sampled exclusively for this app. Hundreds of included scales allow you to effortlessly play in any style from rock to classical, whether you are a musical novice or a seasoned professional.
What’s New in Version 2.2
Introducing Audiobus support: Now you can stream live audio to and from ThumbJam directly with other Audiobus-compatible apps.
- Optimized for iPhone 5 and new iPod touch
- Simpler background audio configuration, including auto powersave mode
- File open-in handling now works properly with instrument or loop ZIPs, scale files and audio files
- Added MIDI transpose options
- Added support for outgoing MIDI clock and limited MIDI clock input sync
- Added support for MIDI MMC Record event to toggle loop recording
- Fixed iPad popover windows persistence on iOS6
- Fixed instrument export list issue
ThumbJam makes use of tilt and shake to add vibrato, tremolo, note bends, and volume swells for more realistic and expressive results. It supports up to five (eleven on iPad) simultaneous touches and up to 24 voice polyphony. Delay and stereo reverb add depth to the sound, and a resonant lowpass filter gives you more tone shaping power. Put on your headphones or plug in to your home stereo to experience some of the highest quality instruments in the App Store.
Build your own loops from the ground up or import your favorites and jam from there. Layer as many loops as you want, with different instruments for each. Export your loops as audio files or Ardour DAW sessions via WiFi. Copy and paste audio from other apps using Sonoma Wire Works AudioCopy/Paste as well the general pasteboard used by BeatMaker, via email, iTunes Document Sharing, or open directly in another application. Now supports Audiobus as well!
Want to jam with your friends? ThumbJam lets you broadcast tempo, key, and scale to other nearby devices via Bluetooth so you can be in sync live. Even better, you can use it as a MIDI or OSC controller over WiFi, with any CoreMidi compatible device, Akai Synthstation, or Line6 MidiMobilizer to control software instruments on your computer, other apps on the same iOS device with virtual MIDI, or play ThumbJam with other hardware or software MIDI controllers or apps!
The app includes a huge variety of scales, from western to eastern. Save your favorites for quick access, or create your own in-app. You can even import new scales in the Scala format for complete flexibility.
You can also record your own instruments using a built-in or attached microphone, or from file import.
+ Cello, Violin, Viola
+ Upright Bass (plucked and bowed)
+ Several drumkits
+ Electric Guitar
+ Electric Bass
+ Tenor Sax
+ Low Whistle
+ Acoustic Guitar
+ Hammered Dulcimer
+ Grand Piano
+ Drawbar Organ (2 types)
+ Pipe Organ
+ Synth Strings
+ Synth Choir
+ Sawtooth Waveform
+ Sine Waveform
+ Triangle Waveform
And from Jordan Rudess:
+ JR Zendrix
+ JR Smooth Steel
iPad Loops is a blog site dedicated to exposing the best iPad apps for music producers and Djs. This is not a database of every app. It is, however, one of useful recommendations from someone with many years in music production. I try to update it on a daily basis (ok sometimes every two days) and I do my best to post useful apps only. My name is Jason Donnelly (Dj Puzzle). I am THE go to man for royalty free loops. My work is published by Sony Creative, Loopmasters, Acoustica, Xmix, Sound Trends, and many more. Subscribe to our RSS feed below to get updated when new apps are posted.