iSynth (not to be confused with the iPhone photo editing app) is a virtual monophonic analog-synthesizer for your iPad. iSynth is designed and optimized for live performances. So far NOT my favorite synth. This is version 1 and there is no support for CoreMidi. The key selling point to this synth is the fact that you can stream the audio from it to an AirPlay device. I do not have an AirPlay amplification system so I could not test this feature. Other than that it’s pretty much your basic monophonic dual oscillator synth for the iPad. I did not like how the knobs behaved. They were difficult to control. I also did not like the fact that this synth can not be flipped horizontally. I use an Alesis iO Dock and it is designed to be used horizontally.
Seline 2.1 Ultimate is based upon the award-winning concept of the original Seline HD. The application has evolved from the “concept” to the “real workhorse” level and is now a very powerful musical tool, for instant production of tons of first-class musical ideas. The melodies can now be recorded to .WAV/.M4A and MIDI simultaneously. Hardware, virtual, wireless MIDI in/out, as well as Audio Copy/Paste are fully supported. There are 30 built-in instruments, 6 drones, 8 drumloops, and more downloadable content is available through in-app purchase.
Seline is a great live performance and improvisation music instrument that will keep you playing for hours, even if you haven’t touched any music instrument before. The sound is altered on the fly with a dozen of subtle AI algorhythms that add unbelievable expression, character and life to your music. Drones (chorded synth pads) are generated on-the-fly based on the complex analysis of your melody line and provide an excellent background layer for your melody.
Seline features a completely new, ergonomically designed playing surface called ioGrid, suitable for players with all hand sizes. The melodies are played with two hands, while keeping the iPad on the knees or on the table. Fully adjustable 16-note scale is divided into 2 parts (odd and even), which are then mapped on the left and right grids. Such way of note mapping is beneficial to the existing linear scale mapping solutions as it allows many more improvisation possibilities. And, of course, the player is never out of tune.
The completely redesigned, realistic-looking interface called ioGrid 2.0 brings many improvements to the original ioGrid. The white keys now represent the opposite part of the scale, thus all the scale is available for performance using only one hand. The variable-length note-to-note pitch slides are performed just by sliding between the yellow and the white keys with different speed. Resting your palm on the “pads” at the bottom of the screen allows to pitch-bend each note as on a regular controller.
Symbiosis of research, technology, and passion… Seline is the latest, most innovative and best-sounding music instrument for the iPad, aimed at easy creation of complicated, soulful, intricate melodies, backed with lush soundscapes. Record them all, and you’ll never run out of musical ideas!
What’s New in Version 2.1
Classic sounds & drones are now a free download (we are really sorry if their removal offended you!)
Returned Classic scales
All IAP instruments & loops are now minimal price
+ Now a serious tool in every musician’s arsenal
+ Redesigned, unique realistic-looking interface ioGrid 2.0
+ Easy note-to-note pitch bends and velocity/filter controls
+ Full MIDI functionality (record, hardware, virtual, wireless)
+ Instant transposition controls, A/B setup switching
+ 30 bundled instruments, 6 drones, 8 drumloops
+ In-app SHOP with 12 additional content packs
+ MeloDist – Advanced “singing distortion” feature
+ 4 effects, LP filter, customizable Arpeggiator
+ 30 scales with Randomize feature
+ File Manager, .M4A converter
+ Share Audio/Midi via PlayMe.CC
+ Advanced CrystalClarity HD sound engine
+ ioGrid – ergonomically designed playing surface
+ Playing expressive, soulful melodies has never been so easy before
+ 23 instruments and 9 drone sounds
+ Automatic backing track – drones (chorded pads) generation
+ Grand stereo reverb, dub delay FX
+ 25 included scales + custom scale creation
+ Record to .WAV, overdub, file manager
+ Find your recorded .wav files in iTunes / Apps / Seline HD page
+ Wi-Fi MIDI IN via DSMIDI (experimental but working)
Position iPad firmly on your knees or table and put your both hands on the surface in the way that is shown on the picture.
Index, middle and ring fingers are generally responsible for their respectable column, but baby finger can also be used in many cases.
Aim for the center of the key for more volume, slide to the outer region of the key to lower the volume of the sustained sound.
Arrows indicate that for every grid, higher notes are achieved by moving upper and closer to the center. The scale is divided into the odd (pink) and even (blue) part. They are represented on the upper keyboard so you can always see what you’re actually playing. Combine playing notes from different hands to achieve great results.
Use thumbs to tap the “tone-down” zone at the bottom of the screen, while holding any note, to go down 1 position in the scale. Use index/middle fingers to tap any of the “tone-up” buttons, to go up 1 position in the scale. These methods can also be used to create easy trills.
Use index fingers to move the combined pitchbend/vibrato joystick. Up/down is the pitchbend (+/- 2 semitones) and left/right is vibrato (center is no vibrato, sides are 100% vibrato). You can also tap anywhere in the zone of the modifier and the joystick will move to that position.
Tap and drag the attack joystick to modify the attack of the sound on the fly. Center is the quickest attack, sides are the longest.
Tap the drone indicator to start/stop drone. Drones are 100% automatic and can be only turned on and off. Tap only once and wait, since drones can have slow attack/release. While transposing, the first drone can be a bit off due to the rebuilding of the generation algorhythms.
Geo Synthesizer is a musical instrument and MIDI controller. A collaboration of Wizdom Music’s Jordan Rudess and Kevin Chartier (MorphWiz, SampleWiz) and Rob Fielding (Mugician), Geo Synthesizer is an incredibly expressive musical instrument specifically created for a multitouch surface.
Jordan says: “Since touching a preliminary piano keyboard on an iPhone screen and realizing the amazing potential for musical expression on a multitouch device, I have been inspired to create next-generation musical instruments for iOS. Geo Synthesizer is a dream come true in many ways. It is the fastest truly playable iOS instrument that I have put my hands on to date. I can fly through the range of an instrument while expanding on the kind of advanced pitch control we introduced in MorphWiz. As someone who grew up with synthesizers, I can tell you that pitch bending has never been this good!
“Geo features many of my custom sounds and in addition, Geo is also a MIDI controller, so you can use it with any external midi instrument or virtual MIDI. Virtual MIDI allows you to control an app running in the background on the same device! A great feature of Geo is that internally and externally we send independent voices on each note played, so as an example, you can pitch bend one note and not the other, or add unique expression on every note! I can’t wait to see the YouTube videos of all of you guys rocking out with Geo Synthesizer!!!”
– ability to load waveforms from SampleWiz presets
– octave rounding for effortless soloing over large ranges
– whammy slider with absolute and relative modes
– 12ET, 24ET, 53ET, and 665ET temperament options
– mono, string, and full-polyphony modes
– tuning and transposition controls
– snap speed control to affect how quickly the instrument pulls notes in tune
– playing surface options for number of rows and columns on screen
– octave and fifth harmonics synthesis options to rich, organ-like sounds
– gain control to add distortion to the sound
– FM and touch FM controls for timbal variation
– mono out for use with guitar amps
– sine, sawtooth, square, and custom (SampleWiz) wave options
– attack and release controls
– synthesis body control
– lowpass filter with resonance
– stereo delay
– MIDI output with polyphonic note bending and multiple configuration options to allow compatibility with a wide range of hardware and software synthesizers
– performance menu lets you make your own custom menu so all the controls you need are always right at your fingertips
– 40 presets carefully selected by Jordan Rudess, including patches from Jordan’s personal sound library
76 Synthesizer is a virtual analog monophonic synth for the iPad. Inspired by synthesizers from the 70’s, the 76 Synthesizer combines playability with style.
What’s New in Version 2.0
• Recording feature. Allows the user to share recordings via iTunes File Sharing, send as a ringtone via e-mail, and copy to other apps using Audio Copy.
• Improved filter
• Optimized graphics for Retina Display
• Fixed an issue with sawtooth oscillators and overdrive
76 Synthesizer is a virtual analog monophonic synth for the iPad. Inspired by synthesizers from the 70’s, the 76 Synthesizer combines playability with style. The latest release includes the long awaited recording feature along with high resolution Retina Display graphics.
• Three Oscillators with sine, sawtooth, triangle, square waves and switchable filter LFO.
• Voltage controlled filter
• Pitch bend/modulation touch pad
• Three octave touch pad for note input with nine different scales
• Eight different effects: reverb, phaser, flanger, chorus, overdrive, delay, tremolo and vocoder— tap the outputs to patch into two effects simultaneously
• Eight different writable presets
• CoreMIDI Input support
• Recording with sharing via iTunes File Sharing, E-mail (as ringtone), and Audio Copy
• Stunning retro interface
I can NOT believe this synth is free! •• As used by Gorillaz on their album The Fall ••
Sylo Synthesiser allows you to play music, or create sound effects, using sounds you can design yourself. Sylo Synth includes a collection of pre-designed sounds which you can use as they are, tweak them to your heart’s desire, or you can make new sounds from scratch.
Build sounds from basic waveforms, or capture them from the world around you using the iPad’s built-in microphone. Then, tinker with Sylo Synthesiser’s filters and other settings to make a sound all your own.
Sylo Synthesiser features live time-stretching technology based on granular synthesis and a suite of filters:
• Speed up or slow down a recorded sound to use as an instrument
• With a regular wavetable synthesiser, higher-pitched notes are also faster, like chipmunks, and lower-pitched notes are also slower, as though they are moving through treacle
• But enable Sylo’s “Sync Speed” feature, and lower or higher-pitched notes still play back at the same speed, keeping them in sync with each other
• Fiddle with the speed control even while you’re playing notes: Slow, stop or even rewind the sound in the middle of notes — without changing the pitch
• Granular synthesis allows you to create instruments or effects from a recording, that do not sound like the original, yet retain its realistic, natural sound
• FX units: Frequency modulation, ring modulation, echo/delay, distortion, and a low-pass filter with resonance control
Sylo Synthesiser also supports Core MIDI: play music from another device via MIDI.
Upgrade to Sylo Synthesiser Pro and you gain these additional features:
• Use existing audio files as the building-blocks of your instrument: import audio from wave, aiff, mp3 and aac/m4a files
• Save recordings to your iPad or to Dropbox* online storage
• Save your new instruments to the preset list for quick access
• Exchange audio with other apps via AudioCopy/AudioPaste or “Open in…” (where supported)
Now supports Dropbox
Please note: The microphone button in Sylo Synthesiser is for recording sound into the synth, to use as the basis for new instruments — not for making a permanent record of what you play! (We’ve heard from a couple of people confused about this so we thought we’d make it clear!) If you wish to record your performances, Sylo Synthesiser Pro adds a Record button to the toolbar for this purpose.
iPad Loops is a blog site dedicated to exposing the best iPad apps for music producers and Djs. This is not a database of every app. It is, however, one of useful recommendations from someone with many years in music production. I try to update it on a daily basis (ok sometimes every two days) and I do my best to post useful apps only. My name is Jason Donnelly (Dj Puzzle). I am THE go to man for royalty free loops. Some of the apps that contain my loops are iPRO.DJSAMPLER, Looptastic, and Audio Elements. My work is published by Sony Creative, Loopmasters, Acoustica, Xmix, Sound Trends, and many more. Subscribe to our RSS feed below to get updated when new apps are posted.