Legendary keyboardist from rock band Dream Theater wishes everyone a happy new year. His gift to you is a short performance of Auld Lang Syne which he performs on his iPad app MorphWiz.
MorphWiz is the second app to bear the Jordan Rudess name. MorphWiz is partly inspired by the Haken Continuum Fingerboard, a radically innovative and revolutionary MIDI instrument that Jordan uses on stage and in the studio with Dream Theater.
Like the Continuum, Jordan Rudess’ MorphWiz is a vertical grid based musical instrument that allows a whole new level of expressive control!
If you’re a beginner, you’ll love experimenting with all of the presets, but if you’re a professional musician, you will soon be blown away by one of the coolest methods of controlling sound that you’ve ever laid hands on.
Jordan states, “Our goal was to create an instrument that would allow the seamless morphing of the audio and visual domain while delivering a seamless musical experience. I believe the iPhone/iPad multitouch platform opens up a whole new world of creation of electronic musical instruments and we’re proud MorphWiz is our first major offering. My experience and involvement with the Haken Continuum and extraordinary Bebot app brought to life an advanced pitch control system that is still uncharted territory for many in today’s music instrument world. This is the heart of MorphWiz.”
MorphWiz video tutorials:
Over 80 Jordan Rudess-created patches
•Assign audio waveforms as visual shapes to the grid and morph between them with your fingers on the grid or the accelerometer
•Advanced pitch control allows the player to round the pitch of the initial attack of any note. It also recognizes when your finger stops after a slide, and rounds your notes to the nearest diatonic pitch
•Rounding pitch on initial attack and/or after a slide
•Independent control for up to 10 simultaneous notes
•Finger Vibrato Effect (FVE) where you can achieve vibrato even when lock pitch is selected and the pitch is snapping to the grid!
•Velocity Controlled Animation (VCA) in sync with your musical performance
•Trippy full-color, animated particles, fire, and ring effects visually radiate under your fingertips and contain real time pitch information
•Choose from a wide variety of scales and chords to assign to the playing surface with easy customization
•Choose to display names of notes or intervals to help guide you
•Performance controls include octave shift, pitch lock on/off, record to delay buffer on/off, infinity delay setting on/off, and multi-function slider
•Unison detuning effect with separate pan control for that classic analog thickness
•FM (Frequency Modulation) synthesis can be assigned to the vertical grid or accelerometer
•Wave Sync Synthesis (WSS) can also be assigned to the vertical grid or accelerometer
•Adjustable note attack and release time
•Infinite-Track Loop (ITL) recorder features user-selectable measures and beats.
•FX include digital delay, stereo chorus, and tremolo
Jordan Rudess: Wizdom Music, LLC Web SiteMorphWiz Support
What’s New in Version 1.1.2
– added VoiceOver labels to all controls
– updated graphics rendering to improve performance
– updated pitch handling code to improve performance and eliminate glitches
TC-11 is the fully programmable, professional multi-touch synthesizer for the iPad. Choose from the 64 included presets, or build your own using touch controls, device motion, and on-board modules. Create music with the next evolution of synthesizer control.
This app is great. It’s a staff favorite here at iPadLoops.
What’s New in Version 1.5
– 32 new presets!
– option to run audio while the app is in the background
– patch preview window in the Load / Save view
– AM depth starting volume (patch option)
– sequencers can lock steps between themselves
– sequencers playback buttons
– fixed audio drop out when switching apps
– fixed module connection errors
– multiple ahdsr bugs fixed
– multiple lfo bugs fixed
– multiple sequencer bugs fixed
– fixed custom grids sometimes not appearing
– fixed Controllers Used table errors
– touch preview activity prevents rotation
– fixed Patch Gain parameter controller display bug
– fixed gyroscope pitch clipping
New effect: phaser!
New effect: reverb!
25 new controllers, including:
Distance to point starting position
Distance to group center
Angle to group center
Rotation around group center
Average distances to touches, center, group center
Random values when touches began / ended / moved
4 new color sets
Downsampler, waveshaper, and phaser can be used together
New ‘General’ settings tab
Order patches by date or name
live patch preview while editing
sequencer rate can be set to BPM
Built-in recording (up to ten minutes}
There are no on-screen knobs, keys, or sliders to fiddle with; all synthesis is driven by your multi-touch performance. Touch relationships like distances / angles / timings perform all the controller functions. It’s just you and the full screen multi-touch performance area.
EVERY synthesis parameter can be controlled by ANY multi-touch controller. The patch possibilities are limitless!
DEVICE MOTION CONTROL:
Use the iPad’s accelerometer, gyroscope, and even the compass to attack your synthesis patch! Tilt and move the iPad to change any filter, effect, or module. You can create real vibrato by moving the iPad during performance, or change the speed of a sequencer by tilting forward and backward!
TC-11 has 8 voice polyphony for full, real-time synthesis. The audio engine has been highly optimized to deliver crisp, responsive performance. Choose from 22 oscillator waveforms, 3 oscillator types, 3 filter types, 4 unique effects, amplitude modulation, and panning control.
Fully programmable AHDSR, LFO, and sequencer modules make TC-11 the most capable iOS synthesizer in the world.
Use TC-11 in your band during live performances. Add TC-11 into your laptop orchestra. Experiment and create with the next evolution of synthesizer control!
The ELECTRONIC PIANO SYNTHESIZER (EPS) is the world first piano synthesizer for the iPad. This synth app offers Midi Learn which is extremely helpful for those using hardware controllers.
The EPS gives you possibilities you don´t have with any other Piano, EPiano or Synthesizer on the iPad. You can adjust the sound while you play on the keyboard and hear the changes immediately. That is what you need to tweak your own sounds. The EPS is not only for EPiano sounds, you can also make sounds like bass, brass, bells, chimes, toms, vibraphone, synth pads…
– 32bit float point polyphonic realtime sound engine
– CoreMIDI support
– Virtual MIDI compatible
– background audio support
– other audio apps can play audio in background
– 32 library patches to load and save
– 21 factory preset sounds
– multiple FX (vibrato, tremolo, delay, tube overdrive)
– Recorder (up to 6 minutes in 16bit 44.1 kHz)
– iTunes file sharing
– copy audio to Pasteboard
– more than 7 octaves
– keyboard scrollable
– two different keyboard sizes
– second keyboard available via options
– simulated touch velocity
– single screen edit
– last session save on closing app
– fast download and small app file size about 2.0mb
– MIDI LEARN
– PITCH BEND range freely adjustable from 1-24 half steps
– VOICES MAX set the maximum number of voices used in EPS
– MIDI performance improvements
– rearranged OPTIONS menu
Korg has teamed up with the hugely popular and globally successful virtual band Gorillaz™ to create a new dedicated beatbox for the iPad: The iELECTRIBE Gorillaz Edition.
The iELECTRIBE is a virtual analog beatbox for the iPad; sound creation is easy, fun and intuitive – just as on a vintage analog synthesizer. Simply choose a part and touch the 16-step sequencer to quickly build a groove. The aggressive sound, unique functionality, and intuitive beat-building style of the iELECTRIBE made it a favorite of Gorillaz for their latest album “The Fall”.
While retaining the intuitive beat-making features of the iELECTRIBE, the special Gorillaz Edition is a new machine customized to generate Gorillaz samples from their fourth album “The Fall” which allow the user to create music in a wide variety of musical styles. The iELECTRIBE Gorillaz Edition features: a unique design and synthesizer engine including 128 new sounds created by Gorillaz; and 64 ready-to-use pre-programmed patterns by the sound team Gorillaz, Stephen Sedgwick, and Korg.
• PCM Synthesizer; 128 PCM Samples; 8 parts x 16 types
Instrument Voices (Parts):
• 8 Total : 8 PCM synthesizer parts
• Master Effect : Assignable per step/per part
• 8 Effect Types : Short Delay, BPM Sync Delay, Grain Shifter, Reverb, Chorus/Flanger, Filter, Talking Modulator, Decimator
• Patterns : 64 steps maximum per part (Motion Sequencing can memorize all knob motions in a pattern)
• Tempo : 20 – 300 BPM (with Tap tempo and Swing function), Pattern-set function (iELECTRIBE has no “Song” function)
• 160 Total : 32 preset patterns x 2 banks; 32 blank patterns x 3 banks
• Virtual Valve Force Tube Modeling
• Audio Export feature : Bounce Pattern, Real-Time Recording (16-Bit / 44.1 kHz Stereo WAV format)
• Publish and share songs online with the SoundCloud music distribution site*
• Supports WIST (Wireless Sync-Start Technology)
• Supports “AudioCopy” function
• Supports performance and controls on an external USB-MIDI device (via the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit)
* In order to post data on SoundCloud, you will need to register for an account on SoundCloud. A variety of accounts are available, ranging from a free account that lets you upload up to two hours of data, to paid upgrades that expand the available time. For details, refer to the SoundCloud website: http://soundcloud.com
• iELECTRIBE Gorillaz Edition is a dedicated iPad app and cannot be used with iPhone and iPod touch.
• Commercial use of the works created by using this application is subject to the copyright clearance from right holders.
Audio export, iPad full-screen support, and many more new features.
NOW SUPPORTS AUDIO IMPORT & AUDIO COPY/PASTE!
iKaossilator Version 2.1 Highlights
● Audio Loop Import
● Seamless operation in tandem with the Kaossilator 2
● Support for “AudioPaste”
☐ New Audio Loop Import function
Audio loop files can now be imported into each part of the sequencer. iKaossilator v2.1 has evolved into an app that provides not just MIDI loop sequencing, but also audio loop sequencing! To import, simply send your audio loop* via iTunes to iKaossilator and load it via the import menu in the sound list (the sound selection screen).
In addition to simply playing an imported audio loop, you can use a filter effect assigned to the touch pad to vary the character of the song just as you would on the Kaoss Pad. This represents a nearly infinite expansion of iKaossilator’s track-making and performance potential.
* Supported file formats: WAV, AIFF, MP3, AAC
☐ Seamless Integration with Kaossilator 2
The Audio loop import feature also enables closely coupled operation with iKaossilator’s sibling — the “Kaossilator 2”. Loop recorder data created with a Kaossilator 2 can be imported into iKaossilator, or an audio loop created in iKaossilator can be loaded into a loop recording bank of the Kaossilator 2. When you do this, data such as the loop length and the BPM of the loop that you created is also loaded; resulting in a seamless transfer between the software and hardware.
☐ Support for “AudioPaste”
iKaossilator now supports the “AudioPaste” function that was developed by Sonoma Wire Works, which allows audio data to be copied and pasted between iOS apps. You can export audio data from the Korg iELECTRIBE or iMS-20, or from any “AudioCopy” compatible app, and then import it into iKaossilator with ease.
● Audio Export records and saves your performance, just as you heard it
● iPad native support allows the iKaossilator to fill the iPad’s large 9.7″ screen
● “SoundCloud” allows users to share and remix loops with other users worldwide
● “AudioCopy” provides an easy way to copy audio data between musical instrument apps
● Flex Play makes it easy to generate fills and breaks
☐ Audio Export saves your performance as a file
Now you can record your performance in real time, or export a completed loop as an audio file. By sending your creations to a Mac or PC via iTunes, you can share them with your friends or use them in a full-fledged music production. You can also upload them directly to SoundCloud.
☐ iPad native support provides full-screen (9.7″) iKaossilator enjoyment
Now you can perform taking full advantage of the iPad’s large 9.7″ display. Enjoy iKaossilator on your iPhone while riding public transportation, and on your iPad while performing live!
☐ “SoundCloud” allows sharing or remix loops with users worldwide
“SoundCloud” is a music distribution and sharing service that’s very popular among musical creators. The loops you create can now be uploaded directly to “SoundCloud” from within the app. If you attach the loop data when doing so, it will be shared to other users’ loop lists. Users worldwide will be exposed to new loops they’ve never heard, and can combine them with their own loops to create remixes. It’s a new way of enjoying music by and unleashing your iKaossilator’s potential throughout the world.
☐ “AudioCopy” lets you share audio data between musical instrument apps
Newly added support for “AudioCopy” from Sonoma Wire Works means that you can copy and paste audio data between apps. Audio data you export from iKaossilator can be sent to apps that support AudioPaste.
☐ Flex Play makes it easy to generate fills and breaks
Designed for live performance, the Flex Play feature makes it easy to generate fills or breaks. Touch and hold Length or Tempo buttons, and then try stroking the touchpad. Movement in the X-axis will change the Length of all parts, and movement in the Y-axis will change the Tempo, allowing you to add dynamic changes to your song that will further expand your performance possibilities.
What’s New in Version 2.0.1
● You can now paste exported audio directly into Apple GarageBand, etc. using the AudioCopy feature.
● Reloading shared loops has been stabilized.
● New functions have been added to the shared loop list.
Korg has revolutionized the musical instrument world with their dynamic line of Kaoss products, using an intuitive X-Y pad to provide expressive musical control. The palm-sized KAOSSILATOR synthesizer placed modern music-making in the hands of thousands of musicians and non-musicians alike. Now that same excitement has been captured in the iKaossilator app for iPhone!
iKaossilator for iPhone Highlights :
● Play sounds by simply stroking, tapping, or rubbing the screen with your finger
● Bold Visual Effects move along with your performance and add excitement
● 150 diverse built-in sounds cover any style of dance music
● Scale/Key settings allow anyone to perform with musical precision
● Easily create tracks with the loop sequencer using up to five parts
● Control loops in real time for DJ-Style live performances
● WIST capability allows wireless sync-start with other apps such as the iELECTRIBE
☐ Perform Using A Single Finger
iKaossilator uses the unique X-Y interface made famous by Korg’s entire Kaoss Line, including the original hand-held KAOSSILATOR. Create melodies and phrases simply by stroking, tapping, or rubbing the touch screen with your finger; no musical knowledge is required.
☐ Bright, Colorful Visual Effects
iKaossilator is also focused on its graphic design, which shows up beautifully on the iPhone’s high-quality display. The visual effects on the iPhone’s display move along with your performance and add excitement. These bold, colorful graphics provide an exciting performance experience.
☐ 150 Diverse Sounds Covering Many Musical Styles
Use the 150 built-in sounds to perform and produce a broad range of dance music styles including hip-hop, house, techno, dubstep, nu-disco, and electro. Enjoy the synth leads and synth bass sounds you expect from a synthesizer, as well as acoustic sounds that simulate piano or guitar chords, even the popular sound effects used by DJs. The drum sounds let you play and manipulate various patterns simply by moving your finger.
☐ Loop Sequencer
The built-in loop sequencer lets you layer up to five musical parts. To create a track, simply assign a loop such as synth, bass, chords, sound effects, or drums to each part. Fifty loops created by professional musicians are built-in to help you get started quickly. In addition to its track-making capabilities, this loop sequencer is also a great feature for live performance. The Mix Play feature makes it easy to enjoy live remixing; you can switch seamlessly to another loop or extract a specific part from another loop while the playback continues.
iPad Loops is a music app blog dedicated to exposing the best iPad apps for iOS musicians, producers, and Djs. This is not a database of every app. It is, however, one of useful recommendations from someone with many years in music production. I try to update it on a daily basis (ok sometimes every two days) and I do my best to post useful apps only. My name is Jason Donnelly (Dj Puzzle). I am THE go to man for royalty free loops. Some of the apps that contain my loops are LP-5, iPRO.DJSAMPLER, Looptastic, and Audio Elements. My work is published by Sony Creative, Loopmasters, Acoustica, Xmix, Sound Trends, and many more. Subscribe to our RSS feed below to get updated when new apps are posted.