Folks know I love Patterning as most people do. It’s such a wicked drum sequencing app. I’m currently beta testing a new feature that allows users to share their drum kits and patterns via the cloud. I’ve shared my Tempest Industrial kit which is a set I made on a Dave Smith Instruments Tempest drum machine. The following is a video demonstration for my Industrial kit. I made this video a while back before the cloud kit feature was added.
Drums by Asrodot version 1.4 is here and it now supports MIDI and tempo sync’d delay! For MIDI support there are two kinds of implementation that are selectable :
note <-> sample :
Each midi note corresponds with a sample and vice versa. Keep in mind that a single drumsound in the app usually is a combination of up to 3 samples mixed together with different velocities. As a result tapping on the screen will result in up to 3 different midi note-on messages sent to the midi-out at once. If you trigger another midi drum instrument this way it would be possible to recreate the drumsample-mixing that is natural behavior to Drums by Asrodot.
note <-> screen :
The screen is divided into an 11×11 grid. Each element on this grid corresponds to a midi note. Likewise each midi note corresponds with a location on the screen. Tapping on the screen will result in only 1 midi note-on message send to midi-out. Playing from a midi keyboard it will be easier to trigger specific sample combinations. Keep in mind though that the 11×11 grid is a simplification of the actual playing possibilities of the screen.
The “note <-> screen” implementation would not make much sense on the Xilo drumkit. In “note <-> screen” mode the Xilo drumkit can be played from a midi keyboard where velocity triggers the various velocity layers. In “note <-> sample” mode each velocity layer has its own two octaves.
Ask a drummer or a percussionist what a wooden coffee table sounds like. He or she will reply that every inch of the table sounds differently. Some parts of the table will sound somewhat like a bass drum. Other parts of the table will sound more like a rimshot. Parts in-between will sound like a mixture of both.
A drummer or a percussionist placed behind a wooden coffee table will soon discover many different sounds the table has to offer and use it to create stunning rhythms. Much to the joy of the drummer/percussionist, and possibly to the annoyance of the other people sitting at the table.
The table metaphor has been used in the creation of Drums by Asrodot. Using the available space on the screen it has been made sure that every pixel sounds just a little bit different, which makes drumming on the iPad/iPhone come to life. Want to create drumrolls with subtle accents every third note? Now you can.
This does not mean that Drums by Asrodot sounds like a coffee-table. The app comes loaded with six drum kits tailored for various styles of music.
– Expressive: Quick and responsive action. Every pixel sounds just a little different. Velocity sensitive; you can add dynamics by tapping harder or softer.
– 6 Drum Kits: Cajón, Xylophone, Jazz, IDM, Drum&Bass 1 + 2.
– Loop recorder: Record drumloops and export them to iTunes, AudioCopy or Soundcloud.
– Distortion: Increase gain to add a tube-like distortion that can dramatically change the sound.
– Delay Module: With tweakable time, feedback and mix settings.
– Customizable: Designed for both right-handed and left-handed drummers.
– Inter-app audio support
– Audiobus support: You can stream live audio directly to other Audiobus-compatible apps. See http://audiob.us for more information.
Funk Drummer is the grooviest drum machine with the ability to improvise like a human drummer. The essence of authentic Funk, from classic R&B to fusion.
The new Live Pads lets to play live sessions on the way with 8 assignable pads and buttons for fills, intro, end with midi controls. And now, you can synchronize with any app easily with Ableton Link.
What’s New in Version 2.01
– Live Pads
– Ableton Live Sync
– Improved Jam
– Solved iPhone 6 issue engine and interface
– Bugs Solved
– New sounds for Raters
– More than 150 funk grooves divided into banks: Fusion, Odd Times, Disco Funk, Ternary rhythms and more.
– The best jamming tool improvise like a human drummer. Set the improvisation level with a simple slider. From 0 (totally stable rhythms) to 100 (creative drummer took too much coffee)
– 35(+6 for Raters) multilayer sounds with 3 different hits (ghost note, accented note and special) x 3 RoundRobin alternating samples.
– Round Robin alternating samples, combining 3 layer samples of each stroke makes a extremely natural sound.
– 4 Effects to combine, including Compressor/Gate, Equalizer, Delay and Reverb.
– Several Random generators to get creative ideas instantly.
– Song Mode. Extra fast tool to create rhythmic structures for your song in seconds.
– Ableton Link Sync.
– Inter-App Audio.
– Midi Sync by The Spectacular Sync Engine
– Control several parameters with midi Control Change and Program Change.
Midi Program Change: SoundSet
Midi CC 0: Bank
Midi CC 7: Master Volume
Midi CC 11: Swing
Midi CC 32: Rhythm
Midi CC 91: Reverb Gain
— Live Pad Midi Controls:
C2 to G2 : Select Pad
D1: Fill for the next Pad change
E1: Fill for every Pad change
A1: Fill & Start / End.
– Song Mode Controls:
Midi Note C1: Preview Song
Midi Note D1: Next Song
* Double press to edit a part or song
* Long press to move parts or songs
Elastic Drums is a music app showcasing an interactive drum kit, that enables to create a huge range of rhythmic grids, ranging from classical analog drumkits up to experimental soundscapes.
It contains six channels of high quality synthesized drum sounds, a step sequencer and 4 effect channels. All important control parameters are automatable. The result: Elastic drum composition with a unique character.
What’s New in Version 1.7.4
* debugged swing function
* reworked jam screen with xy pad for master effects
* song audio recording starts from pattern 1 now
* now you can audio record all 6 drum channels separate, additionally to the master output record. Recordings will land in the documents folder, accessible via iTunes
* new presets from Shadow Dancer
– 6 synth channels with 12 different percussion synth engines (kick, snare, hihat, clap, tom, wobble, fm, fm4, square, grain, synth, drone)
– 12 parameters for each synth engine
– automation for each parameter via knob recording or velocity
– 4 send effect channels with 2×11 mono effects and 2 x 9 stereo effects
– automation for all of the 8 possible effect parameters via xy pad
– master effects (stutter, delay, compressor …)
– 16 step sequencer for the 6 channels, each with it’s own tempo multiplier & length
– record audio and export to Soundcloud or Audioshare
– email audio recordings and presets
– iOS 8 supported
– Audiobus supported
– Inter-App audio (IAA) supported with transport control
– Midi start/stop/sync
Because all sounds get generated in realtime, the app is cpu heavy! iPhones 5 and greater can handle it with no problem, on iPhone 4s effects 3 and 4 get switched off by the engine automatically to save some cpu power. iPhone 4 and iPad1 are NOT recommended!
Elastic Drums is published by MoMinstruments, the instruments app label of Mouse on Mars and friends.
Plans for upcoming versions:
– Midi notes recording
– native screen size for iPhone 6, 6+
– new sequencer features (rolls, etc.)
– new synth engines (other percussions, sampler, etc)
Figure is a free electronic music making app by Propellerhead. It’s highly addictive and very easy to use. Share your creations on Allihoopa, the free music collaboration and sharing service, and see where other music makers will take your ideas. Figure will have anyone making music within seconds yet is deep enough for endless play on a transatlantic flight.
What’s New in Version 2.1.1
– New lead, bass and drum sounds. We can’t wait to hear what you come up with!
– Tap Allihoopa to easily find music from the users you follow—find Figure songs to remix, collaborate and find inspiration for your next song.
• Make songs with Drums, Bass and Lead Synth
• Play by sliding your finger across the play pad
• Always stay in key and on the beat
• Share your music on Allihoopa and let others remix or develop in Figure and other apps
• Make music with people all over the world
• Find music from the Allihoopa community to remix and develop
• No previous playing skills required
• Tweak and twist your track on the fly
• Sounding amazing has never been this easy
Truly designed for mobile use, with collaboration in mind, Figure gives you drums, bass and lead synths. All controlled through an incredibly easy to use touch interface that gets you sounding great literally in seconds. Slide your finger across the play pad and hear your bass line play. Tweak the Rhythm, Range and Scale Step wheels to get the result you’re after. Programming drumbeats is just as easy. Set the rhythm and play the drums with your fingers. You won’t want to stop. You won’t believe how amazing you and your phone can sound.
The nitty gritty details:
• Bass & lead parts use Reason’s Thor synthesizer
• Drums powered by Reason’s Kong drum machine
• Play in different keys & modes. Set once or change on the fly.
• Use the arpeggiator to create melody lines from chords
• Increase the Shuffle to loosen up your beats
• Turn up Pump to add a club sound to your tracks
• Save, browse and load song files
• Set length of loop (1,2,4,8 bars)
• Export audio to iTunes File Sharing
• Share music on Allihoopa
• Audiobus support: Stream live audio directly to other Audiobus-compatible apps! See http://audiob.us for more information
• Background audio (in device Settings)
iPad Loops is a music app blog dedicated to exposing the best iPad apps for iOS musicians, producers, and Djs. This is not a database of every app. It is, however, one of useful recommendations from someone with many years in music production. I try to update it on a daily basis (ok sometimes every two days) and I do my best to post useful apps only. My name is Jason Donnelly (Dj Puzzle).
You might know me from my royalty free loop packs and sound design. Some of the apps that contain my loops are LP-5, iPRO.DJSAMPLER, Looptastic, and Audio Elements. My work is published by Sony Creative, Soundtrack Loops, Sample Logic, Pakotec, Loopmasters, Acoustica, Xmix, Sound Trends, and many more. Subscribe to our RSS feed below to get updated when new apps are posted.